Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Pumpkin Spice Latte and Pecan Pie M&M's!

The fall snack season is here in full force already! Everywhere you look it's "PUMPKIN SPICE ________." I mean, beer companies start putting out their fall flavors in friggin' July these days, so I'm surprised we aren't getting all of our pumpkin flavored crap at the same time, but I'm happy we don't! By the way, if you are someone that buys and drinks pumpkin beer before it's cold outside...you and I have very differing views of the world. But to each his own! You can set up your Christmas tree in September for all I care.  Pssh. I don't care at all. You know what I care about? M&M's! So let's review some! 


Well, well, well. This season our friends over at Mars decided to try something very new for the M&M candy line. Pumpkin Spice Latte! Which, if you aren't aware, has become sort of a buzz phrase already this fall season. You can't scroll through three people in your Facebook feed without someone posting some variant of a meme talking about how "White Girls Love Pumpkin Spice Lattes." I chuckled the first time I saw it. Now, a few weeks and ten thousand views later, whenever I see it, I want to go buy a Pumpkin Spice Latte and bash it over somebodies head. But, the question at hand, here is this: Do the Pumpkin Spice Latte M&M's taste like a pumpkin spice latte?


Ehhhhhh...kinda? Here's the deal, when you eat a handful of these, you can taste pumpkin and even a coffee flavor. They got that part right. But the base of it is chocolate and that's the flavor that overpowers these like crazy. These are chocolate, and then you say, "Oh, yes, there it is. A slight pumpkin spice/coffee flavor in the background.


I will say, however, that the more of these you eat, the stronger the spice flavor gets. So later on it ends up being more chocolate with a strange spice flavor. But it never reaches the point where you're asking yourself if you've just taken a sip of an actual Pumpkin Spice Latte.


Fear not, white girls, if you absolutely need to buy these, you will be greeted with some faint pumpkin spice latte flavor, but in the end it tastes more like a MOCHA PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE. Which doesn't sound too bad, but in real life, I wasn't very impressed with these. I give them a C. Points for trying something new for the best time of the year, but maybe chocolate wasn't the best base for these. Big thanks to Sue for hooking us up with a bag of these since I could not find them anywhere!


Next up is the Pecan Pie M&M's! Ol' Green M&M is looking extra sexy on this package, and if I'm reading it right, we're supposed to believe she's a country gal. Wearing some cowboy boots, sitting on a bale of hay, with that piece of wheat between those sultry lips. If anyone knows about pecan pie, it's a country gal, right? I'm not sure if that's right at all, but that's what they want us to believe here so let's run with it. I never loved Pecan Pie growing up, but my brother makes a BAD ASS chocolate Pecan Pie so I've learned to love them now. But do these capture that familiar flavor?


You're damn right they did! Let me tell you this, I've never had an M&M smell so strongly of the flavor as these. The second I tore this bag open (and you can see that is no exaggeration), the room filled with the smell of Pecan Pie. Seriously. It's pretty intense! The color scheme of these is kinda gross, off-white, dull yellow and dark brown. I get that these are fall colors, but come on. There should be at least one shade of orange in there! But that's really the only bad thing I can say about these, because they taste awesome! They taste so much like Pecan Pie that it might weird you out a bit...


But take a moment for your brain to catch up and you'll realize, yeah it's a bit more like a chocolate pecan pie, but they pretty much nailed this flavor with ease. It's hard to deny that these taste exactly as they should.



In the end, I give these Pecan Pie M&M's a solid A. These win out because I feel like the Pecan Pie flavor is the prevalent taste and chocolate is in the background. The opposite of the Pumpkin Pie Latte M&M's. These are great and I highly recommend you fill your fall candy dish with some of these ASAP, because since they are limited edition, you know they will be gone soon!


If you're wondering where you can track these down, keep in mind that the Pumpkin Spice Latte M&M's are Target exclusive and the Pecan Pie M&M's are exclusive to Walmart. So if you want them both you're gonna have to hit two stores! BOGUS!

As always, if you find something you'd like us to review, drop us an email about it! You can email us at fatguyfoodblog@gmail.com! Tell us about a restaurant, snack item, or new fast food junk you want us to try and if we can make it happen, we will!
Also follow us on Twitter for all kinds of fun: @fatguyfoodblog
AND don't forget to LIKE our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/fatguyfoodblog 

No comments:

Post a Comment