Friday, March 21, 2014

M&M double review! Birthday Cake & Carrot Cake M&Ms!

If there's one kind of candy we can always count on putting out some wild flavors each year, I'd say M&M's are a safe bet every time. Usually they are released in conjunction with a holiday and sometimes even more than one flavor. Well the Fatguyfoodblog crew got lucky here in early 2014 because we have two new M&M flavors to review. Let's see what Rich & Mike thought of these...

First up...BIRTHDAY CAKE M&M'S!
Easily six months ago I remember seeing a small press release about these. The only image that could be found online was a tiny, poor quality version of the package. No other information could be found except that they would be out "FIRST QUARTER 2014." So that meant every time I went in a store I had to make sure to check the candy section to see if they had them. Well it finally paid off, because one fateful trip to Walmart, I spotted them, and grabbed as many as I could carry. 

Great looking package! Irwin agrees! 
But let's get down to it. When I eat something like this, a well known candy standard, that is now boasting the great taste of birthday cake, I want to pop one in my mouth and have that taste hit me like a Shawn Micheals superkick, right in the mouth.

SWEET CHIN MUSIC!
But sadly, Birthday Cake M&M's do not do this. In fact, the first time I popped a handful in my mouth I thought, "is this a defective batch? These taste like plain M&M's..." But then as I was finishing that mouthful I detected a hint of a birthday cake taste. That's not what any of us wants. So I went back to the package and tried again. This time opting to just let one slowly melt in my mouth (Not in my hand. Not ever in my hand.).

Just three colors? Strange. 
This time around I got a bit more of the birthday cake flavor than before. But seriously? You have to slow walk them one at a time to get the flavor that is plastered all over the package? Not cool, M&M's, not cool at all. I would say aside from the strange three color choice of these , if you put them in a dish on your coffee table, visitors to your house might not even notice that they aren't regular M&M's. Some of the more observant ones might pick up on the fact that they are shaped a bit more like Peanut Butter M&M's, but if not, they definitely won't be jumping out of their seats thinking that they somehow just ate a slice of birthday cake without knowing it.
This looks like any other M&M. 
So, sadly, in closing I have to say that these are quite disappointing. These were one of the items I was most excited for in 2014 and they left me hanging. If you see one of the small packages and want to try them out, go for it, just to satisfy your curiosity.  But if they make a big bag, it's not worth the money. 
I give Birthday Cake M&M's a big ol' D, for "Deez thangs could use about 90% more Birthday Cake flavor!"
Let's hope Mike has better luck with his CARROT CAKE M&M'S!
-Rich



As the sole member of the FGFB crew who loves carrot cake, I was tasked with reviewing these M&Ms- they even showed up on my food shelf out of nowhere. Gotta love that. 
I liked the idea, as there aren't enough carrot cake-flavored items out there, but I was cautious. How could they make a chocolate candy taste like carrot cake? 

Although they slapped the sexiest candy ever on the bag (seriously, those bunny ears straight from the playboy mansion and that come-hither eyebrow raise? mmmmmmm), I had to split her head right open and spill her candy brains all over the table. I guess I could have ripped the bag somewhere else, and not poured the candy onto a blood red tablecloth, but don't blame me! M&Ms are the ones who choose to advertise their candy by having lovable characters be terrified they're gonna get eaten in every commercial! Plus, these are clearly Easter-based, and you know... Jesus. 


brainz

ANYWAY, I felt these deserved a fancy presentation for something as fancy as carrot cake (and yes, I'm pretty sure the only reason I consider carrot cake "fancy" is because it's cake with a vegetable in it. That also means it's good for you, right?).


These are the white chocolate version of M&Ms (like these and these), which is most likely solely to make things taste more like they should, since there's probably no way to make real chocolate taste like carrot cake. 


And you know what? These are gooooooood.

They give off quite the aroma, and the smell is exactly the same as the taste- carrot cake. Not so much the frosting part of carrot cake, just like a more sweet version of the cake part. It really captures that cinnamony sting and almost bitterness of carrot cake, while staying super sweet, smooth, and KIND OF frostingy. I wish they had more of the frosting flavor, but I'll take what I can get. I figured these would be just ok, and after initial product testing, I felt like they were good, but not great. Last night, I really wanted some sugar and suddenly remembered I had this bag. Then I really got it. These are awesome, and the bag is almost gone.

I have to give them an A. I'd only recommend them if you are a carrot cake fan, but if you are, you'll see right away why I give them an A. They taste like they're supposed to, and they're delicious past the gimmick. I may just buy a piece of carrot cake and jam these in the frosting. Oh wait, I just did.


And it was awesome. 

-Mike

Remember folks, you can drop us a line at fatguyfoodblog@gmail.com with any ideas for upcoming reviews, or to just tell us how much you love us! Follow us on Twitter: @fatguyfoodblog for fun tweets from the road and mini-reviews. Or you can LIKE our page on Facebook for more fun, FGFB antics! 

20 comments:

  1. I was pretty afraid of the carrot cake M&Ms (c'mon, it's vegetables in candy....that just ain't right) but you've convinced me to give them a whirl! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you like carrot cake, I see no reason why you wouldn't like them.

      Delete
  2. I can't find these flavors anywhere. It's very discouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's the curse with new flavors. we pretty much get everything at walmart or target if that helps

      Delete
    2. I actually found the birthday cake ones at a random gas station... and the carrot cake ones were left by the "Easter Bunny" at my house on Easter, but I guess Walmart would be your best bet... even though they may be out now that Easter's over...

      Delete
  3. Have you tried the mega M&M's yet? I found these on the grocer shelf this week so purchased (&ate) them. My husband just found your blog (the Doritos test flavor post) and we are enjoying reading it!
    Jww

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Yea, we've had the mega M&Ms. We didn't feel they were worth a review since they are just bigger than normal M&Ms, but they rule.

      Delete
  4. Very entertaining read! But how would u say the birthday cake tasted?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The M&Ms Brithday Cake taste barely any different than the regular ones. I have strong taste buds that can notice subtle difference in taste and even then I did not notice much difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Rich tasted something there, but I didn't.
      -Mike

      Delete
  7. I absolutely love M&M's. My favorite candy of all time. I usually buy a bag of milk chocolate, peanut and peanut butter and then mix them all in my candy jar at the office. I usually always buy the medium size bag. For some reason the large bag is never as good....and the peanut butter does not come in a large size. I like to mix them evenly. I may have to try the birthday cake - just because I have to try them. I wasn't super crazy about the pretzel ones. Sometimes you just shouldn't mess with a good thing. It even took me a little while to get hooked on the peanut butter. If I eat too many of those I get a headache. Strange. I just love to be part of a conversation on M&M's! Mmmm Good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can whole-heartedly agree about the birthday cake M&M's. I just picked up three of the small bags (in case they were awesome...ha) at my local drugstore.

    Honestly, even slowly eating them one-by-one it was tough to suss out that cakey goodness...which was in very short supply.

    At best, they should be called "brownie flavored," but even that is pushing it.

    You have me sold on the carrot cake flavor (a personal favorite)...as long as I can find some, I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I tend to agree. I barely tasted any cake.
      -Mike

      Delete
  9. A few days ago we picked up the Candy Apple M & M's, and I was sad to find that there was no Candy Apple flavor. A closer look at the bag said "Milk Chocolate" and nothing about candy apple or caramel apple flavor. They were the large size like peanut butter M & M's (one of my favorite things in the world), but in candy apple colors. I decided that the candy apple name was only in reference to their colors, rather than flavor. I'm starting to think that the same thing may be true about the Birthday Cake M&M's -- that they were just large sized, birthday cake colored M&M's in plain milk chocolate flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the things you covered through the post are quiet impressive, good job and great efforts. I found it very interesting and enjoyed reading all of it...keep it up, lovely job..
    online cake delivery Glendale

    ReplyDelete